Thursday, April 29, 2010

Knit and Crochet Blog week, day four



The topic for today's installment of Knit and Crochet Blog Week, is:

"A New Skill
Is there a skill related to your hobby that you hope to learn one day? maybe you’re a crocheter who’d also like to knit? Maybe you’d like to learn to knit continental, knit backwards, try cables or attempt stranded colourwork."

Yes, of course there are things I still want to learn! I want to become much better at crochet, right now I can do chain stitches and single, and double crochet (I think, I'm not 100 % sure of the english terms), but I can't follow any patterns. I bought a great book a while ago called Virkskolan (It's the Swedish translation of 300 Crochet Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets, by Jane Eton), and I really plan to start learning soon. I think I've just been too impatient. I am a fairly good knitter by now, and I want to be as good at crochet NOW! And of course I'm not :)


I also plan to learn how to spin on my wheel. And this I plan to take up in the next week or so, because I really want to learn how to spin my own yarn! As I've mentioned, me and my sister plan to start a webshop in the near future, as she's sewing project bags. I thought I would start spinning yarn for sale there too, and probably also make some stitch markers to sell as well. My dream is to eventually, when we get the shop up and running, to get to sell commersial brands of yarn too, but I think that will be further into the future. First I need to learn how to spin!

Finally, I remembered a third thing I really would love to lear. A lot of people who do colourwork knitting hold one yarn in each hand, and pick with one hand and throw with the other. I keep both of my yarns in my left hand, but I actually just drop the one I'm not using in between. It is said that this causes uneven tention, but so far I haven't had any problems with that. It slows me down a lot though, so I really need to learn how to throw!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regular knitting news, I'm halfway through the Sari lace shawl I'm knitting for Thomas' grandmother! Yay! Now it's only the decreasing half left, and I think this one will go a lot faster. I haven't taken any photos yet, but I'll try to do that later today so I can show it to you tomorrow. It's very, very pretty!

/ Jenny

No comments: