Saturday, May 01, 2010

Knit and Crochet Blog week, day six




Today is the second to last day of the Knit and Crochet Blog Week, and here's the topic for today:

"Revisit a past F/O

Bring the fortune and life of a past finished project up to the present. Document the current state and use of an object you have knitted or crocheted, whether it is the hat your sister wears to school almost every day, or a pair of socks you wore until they were full of hole. Or maybe that jumper that your did just didn’t like that much…"

Ok, I haven't knitted for more than two years or so, so I actually don't have that many FO's. Especially not old ones. I think I'm going to show you the one I use the most though. I made this HUGE lace shawl last summer, it's the first shawl and first lace project I ever made.


It's a Drops pattern, 105-3, and I made it with Drops Alpaca yarn (which is fingering weight). I guess my gauge was off a bit, because I had no idea it would turn out this big. But the yarn is oh so soft and smooshy, and I wear it almost every night when I sit at home on the couch knitting. It is super warm, and I think it turned out pretty beautiful too. Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer, I will start wearing it instead of a jacket outside, with one of my pretty shawl needles!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other knitting news, I went with my sister to pick up her new sewing machine in town yesterday, and I took the opportunity to visit the local yarn shops as well. It turns out that one of the shops had just stocked Malabrigo Lace yarn for the first time, and when I asked for the price they didn't really know. The seller called the owner of the shop, and as she didn't know for certain either, I think I got a very reasonable price! I won't tell you how much I payed for it, as I don't want to make any future buyers jealous, but I came home with two skeins in this gorgeous fuschia colour called Geranio.


The colour is actually pretty close to the photo, it's so incredibly vibrant. And I think I already have a pattern picked out for it: The Clematis Stole (you actually get both variants of the stole in one pattern, as you can see in the photo below). This is a new pattern on Ravelry, made by one of the moderators in the "10 shawls in 2010" group. I think I mentioned her as a knitter whom I admire, her name on Ravelry is LindaCC and she's awesome! I can't wait to knit this stole! It will have to wait a while though, as I want to finish the Sari Lace and the Haruni first. I seem to be in a pink roll right now!


And for all of you who are curious out there: Here's my sister's new sewing machine!



(And that's her cat Daisy, she's a Turkish Angora breed). It's a Husqvarna Viking E20, and so far she is very happy with it. It can do a lot of decorative seams, and is apparently very quiet too. My sister is studying to become a teacher, and she has to turn in her exam paper this spring, so she's a bit busy with that right now. But once that is over with, I think she'll start to sew a lot more. So our shop should be up some time during the summer :)

/ Jenny

3 comments:

Maiden Jane said...

Your shawl is amazing! I love the color of your new yarn, too!

Jenn said...

I LOVE those stoles! I have wanted to knit a lace shawl but am not a big triangle fan...one of those stoles would be the perfect solution. Thanks for pointing out the pattern!

Happy knitting. Your sister's project bags are way cute. Reminds me, I have some sewing for a friend that needs done. Maybe today?

Allison said...

Your first lace shawl is impressive! You were born to knit lace:)