Saturday, January 14, 2012

I've found my Mojo! I've found my Mojo!


Yes, it's true! I've finally had a real urge to knit again, after being in a bit of a slump for quite a while. I told you I finished the Brandywine shawl the other week, and here it is in all it's glory:


It's made with Wetterhof Silla yarn, which is fingering weight 70 % wool/30 % silk, and it's not amazingly soft but comfy enough. It's not scratchy at all, it's just a bit stiff, it kind of feels a bit like paper. But it feels nice around my neck, and I think it will soften with wear. I like it a lot, it's not as lace-y as a lot of the shawls I've made so far but it feels good to branch out a bit.

I've also finished the Ookuru socks, and they turned out pretty good too, even though the pooling on the feet turned out pretty much the opposite on the different socks...


I like them anyway, even though these too, are not the softest I've made. I think I told you that the yarn is a bit stiff as well, I'm guessing it's from the bamboo content (it's Marias Garn Handpainted sock yarn, 75 % superwash wool/25 % bamboo), but it makes really durable socks. I bought two of these skeins in 2010, when I turned 30, and so far I've made 2 pairs of socks from it and I still have more than 60 g left. So it's lasted long too, which is nice. I'm making a last pair of socks from it some time in the future, but not right away.

I've also finished the first of the Ramona mittens, the double knitted ones:



I LOVE these! It's taking me forever with the double knitting, but it's well worth it. They look awesome on both sides, and I love patterns from Laris Designs. They are very well written, with lots of clear instructions with photos. I've only knitted one of her patterns before (The Guinevere Gloves) but I kind of want to knit pretty much all of her patterns! They are just that pretty. These mittens turned out a bit too long though, so I decided to leave out a few rows on the pattern, where it wouldn't be very visible. Now it fits me perfectly!

I'm making the mittens in KnitPicks Palette yarn (100 % fingering weight wool), and even though it is pretty soft, it still isn't the softest wool there is either. I think this might be the reason for the knitting slump: I just haven't knitted with any really fun yarn! But I think I need to finish up these projects I'm currently working on before I cast on for something new though, I feel like I've been working on them forever!

I still have the Panama shawl and the Silken Scabbard sweater left in my projects bag, and I think the sweater will be the one I tackle next. That one has been in a time-out since I had to frog the whole thing due to a very wonky-looking collar. I've since then knitted the other type of neck that the pattern gives, but I just lost the steam on that one. Once I finish the mittens it's time for a second wind on it though!

As 2011 ended, I had a look at my finished stuff for the year. I haven't been as productive as in 2010, I finished 21 projects in 2011, compared to 27 projects in 2010. I think a lot of it is because of my new job, which makes me too tired some evenings to even think about knitting. I still love the job, so it's ok. And I think 21 projects is fine! I only managed to make 2 shawls for the 11 shawls in 2011 challenge on Ravelry though... That didn't stop me from signing up for 12 shawls in 2012 (as you can see by the banner in the right column!), but I doubt I'll make 12 this year. I still want to make more than two! But I think I have to finish the Panama first, before I cast on for a new one, otherwise it will never get done!

After a very busy week at work, it's so nice to finally have two days off during the weekend. Not that I don't always have that, it's just that I've been really tired this week. But today has been spent on the couch knitting and watching TV-series (Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural) and movies (Red Riding Hood and Contagion), and now Thomas is playing Skyrim on the x-box, which means even more knitting time for me. Maybe I should take a walk or something, so I move something more than my hands today? Nah, I think I'll stay right here!

/ Jenny

4 comments:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

The mittens look great! The shawl is beautiful! And welcome back tot he mojo!

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Wow! You are one productive Chickie! I love it all, of course, but especially the new shawl. I think I pulled mine out... i just could NOT get the hang of that pattern, and I wasn't liking the yarn I was using either - it was meant for socks. I shall try again :)

Virginia G said...

I'm glad you got your mojo back!

And I've found that a good case of startitis is a great way to re-find one's mojo.

Jen Mc said...

WOW!!! The shawl, socks and mittens are BEAUTIFUL! You are like the super knitter! Good for you!
I can't wait to see more. :)