Friday, March 16, 2012

At least I'm getting some knitting done...


Yeah, I've been sick for almost the entire week. On Monday evening I felt an itch in my throat that wasn't supposed to be there, but I ignored it and hoped it had something to do with all the dust lying around the apartment. We're living in boxes everywhere right now, as we move in two weeks, so there's really no point in cleaning. Anyway, I went to work as usual on Tuesday, and just felt crappier and crappier as the day went on. So at two i decided I had had enough, and went home and went to bed with 38.5 centigrades in fever. So that's where I've been these past three days! No fun at all, I've been coughing my lungs out and have a smashing headache, so I've been watching a lot of old TV series and knitted a lot. Today I woke up without a fever, but my temperature is rising as I write this (which I feel by the increasing headache and increasing chills) so I'll probably spend the weekend in bed as well.

Well, yesterday I managed to FINALLY finish my panama shawl! I blocked it this morning (and afterwards I felt dizzy and sweaty, so I probably wasn't ready for that kind of "strenuous" activity), and it's looking very pretty. Here is the usual blocking picture:


It is kind of big, I'm guessing it's at least 1.5 m wide at the top, but it's incredibly thin so I think it will work as a scarf around the neck as well. I started this one in February last year, so it's been lying around for more than a year before it finally got done! I'm so very happy to have this one out of the way!

As I'm currently kind of hooked on lace, I decided yesterday to focus on the Ethereal Triangle shawl now that the Panama was done. But the cable is starting to come loose on the KnitPicks needle, and I got so tired of the yarn snagging at the glitch, I decided to wait until I get me some new needles. I finished the Panama with my new ChiaoGoo Bamboo needle, and let me tell you: I am IN LOVE! The join between needle and cable is incredibly smooth, and the cable itself is incredible. It is completely memory-free, which means that it doesn't coil up at all. So I went and ordered three more of these needles yesterday evening as well, in sizes 2.25, 2.5 and 2.75 mm. I just hope that the tips are as sharp on the bigger needles. I still like the KnitPicks needles, but I think I might just love the DPN's, while the circulars are just ok. The join isn't as smooth as I first thought when I bought them, and the cables do coil a lot. Plus, I've had several needles break on me these past couple of weeks, so I'm not that fond of the quality either. We'll see if the ChiaoGoo ones are any better. The main drawback with these ones though, is that they don't come in any interchangeable sets, so you have to buy a lot of different needles to get different lengths of cables for every needle size. I'm not sure if I'm up to that, so I'll just start with the smaller sizes (that doesn't come in interchangeable version at KnitPicks either), and see how I like them.

Ok, now my energy is running out, so I think I'll go lie down again. I'll bring the Silken Scabbard sweater with me to work on, I think.

/ Jenny

1 comment:

mimilikestomakeprettystuff said...

I feel for you; I'm also caught the flu this week. Hopefully we get better soon. The only "good" thing about being sick are those extra hours of blogging and knitting guiltfree.