Saturday, January 25, 2014

Baby stuff goes so fast!


Since last time I've knit a lot, as I've discovered that baby clothes makes for very fast knitting. I started, and finished, an Abernathy cardigan, in Dream in Color Everlasting yarn (100 % superwash merino, 384 m/100 g) in the colourway Violet Hour, and Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! (70 % superwash merino/20 % cashmere/10 % nylon, 377 m/113 g) in the colourway Oleander Nymph:


The Dream in Color yarn I got from last year's Cookie A sock club, and the Bugga! was leftovers from a pair of socks I made in 2012 I think. I made the 3 months old size, and I opted not to make the button bands with intarsia and picked up for them once the rst of the body was finished instead. It was a fun, quick knit, but I have to admit that the Dream in Color wasn't the nicest yarn to work with. It's soft to the touch, but it feels a little bit stiff when working with it, and it is very loosely plied. I wouldn't trust it to make for durable socks! I have ordered some buttons from Etsy, but they haven't arrived yet so I'll show them once they get here.

I also made the matching Abernathy Cap, which took about two days to make, with the same yarn:


Some people seem to think that the purple is a bit girly, but we still don't know what gender our baby will have. I think that purple will work for both a girl and a boy, and fortunately it will be too small to contradict me!

Unfortunately, this last part of the pregnancy (only about 1.5 months left now!) includes lots of hormones, and my stomach does not react well to those so I've been home sick a lot. On Thursday I went to my doctor, and now I'm on sick leave until the baby comes. It feels good to not have to work any more, because I've been so exhausted, but I get a bit bored just being home. But at least that gives me lots and lots of knitting time! 

In between all the stomach issues I've worked a lot on my Mandala II shawl, as I would really love to have it finished before the baby arrives. I doubt I'll get lots of uninterrupted knitting time with an infant to take care of! I haven't gotten any new photos of that one though, as it is still so scrunched up on the needles. The sad part is that yesterday I ran out of yarn! I've now used up two whole skeins of Madelinetosh Tosh Lace yarn, which makes for over 1700 m! I have about 20 rows left on the last chart, plus the edging, so I've ordered one more skein from Eat.Sleep.Knit (I know that I'm not supposed to buy any more yarn, but the exception will have to be when I run out before I finish a project). I think it will take a few weeks to arrive though, so I don't know if I'll finish it in time. It's a fun knit, and I've really enjoyed knitting a bit of lace, but I don't think I should start a new shawl before this one is done. We'll see how long that resolve lasts!

The past couple of days I've been knitting on my socks instead, as I find that three pairs going at the same time might be a little bit much. I'm done with the first of the Zauberball Vanilla socks, and about halfway through the second one:


I thought that Zauberball was a striping yarn, but it is more of a gradient I guess. I don't think they will count in the stripey KAL challenge, but I don't mind that too much. The colours are pretty, and they've flown off the needles. 

Yesterday I picked up my Watermelon Slice socks instead, and finished the first one:


This is The Knitters Brewing Company sock yarn, and it isn't the softest, but I think they will make for almost everlasting socks! They feel nice on the foot, and they are so much fun! I've started the second one today, and as I'm spending so much time at home right now it should be done in a couple of days. 

Other than that I've gotten two yarn shipments in the mail since I wrote last, which were the last of the Christmas shopping. First, I managed to snag two half-skeins of sock yarn from Fibrofibers, in the Nightfall Fingering Sock base:


The colourway is called Deep Purple, and the yarn is 100 % superwash wool, 448 m/114 g. The way that it is dyed is that each skein is a single gradient from pure purple into black, which will make for two identical socks. I love this idea, and I've been stalking the updates for a while without getting any. This time I got one skein though, and I wasn't going to let such a boring thing as saving money stop me from getting it!

I also got three skeins of Chili Gredelin Madame lace yarn (55 % silk/45 % cashmere, 366 m/55 g), in the colourway A Blanket and Two Beagles:


I think that Madame might be my very favourite lace yarn, and I'm so happy that Kia has started up the business again. I won't be buying much from her this coming year though, but I was very happy that I had some Christmas money to spend on this. 

The last thing I have on my needles is the Stricken socks, but as I haven't touched them since I wrote last I have no new photos. I'll pick these up again soon, but I think I want to finish either the vanilla socks or the Watermelon socks first.

And I think that's it for this time. We're starting to prepare the house for the arrival of the baby, but I'll not go into that here. Let's just say that a baby needs so much stuff! We've been buying most stuff second hand, which is good for both our economy and the environment, and it's been a lot of fun looking for stuff online. At least that gives me a shopping outlet now that I'm not buying any more yarn!

/ Jenny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vilka sjyssta melonstrumpor ! /Klara